Gossiping is n’t all bad. Gossiping is the biggest tool to shun your weakness \insecurities in front of others at times. That is why, Gossip is here to stay as long as weakness and drama stays.
Pardon me! If you feel that today, I’m slightly off track. :D. Even though it may not relate to my dictum and my usual ultracrepidarian propaganda of “Wake Joy” while it has got nothing to do with waking up Joy : Here’s my post, for what it’s worth.
Clear say Benefits of Gossip:
(Disclaimer: Wake Joy strongly repudiates gossip as a source of Happiness 🙂 )
- You can Stay on stage: At times, you feel shaky, low, require self- acceptance and you’ve got a friend to gossip and sob about the events that happened with your competitor, your pain is kind of eased. Isn’t it ?.Also, it feeds your ego during fear, vanity, desire and competition. When actually your ego flaws or fails, a gossip mitigates it seamlessly.
- You can sidetrack attention from your own life: The curiosity about other’s personal life and shrunken lives wards off attention from your own life when you gossip. It is a distraction from current moment. Right here! Right now can be dawdled for some time.
- Share secrets: A gossip is a sporty technique to push and pull secret from others. Sincere gossip conversation and authentic listening tactic will let others slip secrets to you. Nobody divulge secrets just like that. Isn’t it? 😉
- Relives your tension: Spicy, Juicy gossip about politics and celebrity can be a favorite pass time and be a stress buster. We all are interested about stories that were about celebrities. We all have values to believe in and heroes who embody these values to look upto. If you can read about celebrities, laugh and put it in perspective, there is no harm in it unless you get so obsessed with their wealth, marriage and sex lives only to turn yourself into maniac and end up in depression.
- Social Jollification: The first and foremost aspect to be a social butterfly and networking is to be a qualified newsmonger. People are interested about stories around them all the time all the sides North.East.West.South. To get attention, you need to bring them hot news and just be a medium of information and gossip. People rank your social skills high when the information you bring is coated with gossip. For instance, how many genuine news got attention from media and people these days?. And how the Media, Tv, Youtube, Social media by their rankings and views tell you the reality about the worth and value of “biased stories”.
- Reflects corporate culture: A good rumour and the gossip reflect if a corporate is administered on doubt or if it is leading by example. That is why, when a rumour is spread around organisation, the management cuts it up with a genuine announcement. Sometimes a corporate follows an informal way of communicating a vital decision as a rumour to tactfully avoid potential troubles. This unofficial way of passing information by means of gossip is called “Grapevine gossip”
- Emphasize public Norms: Often, a gossip is a conventional way of telling and iterating the morally accepted behaviours in an extroverted society. Gossip just publicizes the fact that “when somebody goes outside the cultural norms, the culture has to protect itself”.
‘Don’ts’ in Gossiping:
- Verbal defamation: Tearing down others will never build you up.
- Lose integrity: Gossip is double edged sword. Be ready to lose your integrity when you do “The Great Destructive Gossip”
- Lose Reputation: Gossip is always baseless, biased and exaggerated story. The foundation of gossip is “Lies”. “Lies” can never underlie as a foundation for Reputation. Have you ever been inspired by lies? Then what is it all for?
- Lose Trust: Finally Nobody trusts you when you are a gossip monger. Because a gossiper who gossips about someone else to you will gossip about you to someone else.
- Lose Confidence:Gossiping is a sign of weakness and insecurity. It results from narrow thinking. Great minds talk about ideas, Average minds talk about events and small minds talk about people. It is meant for mediocre. A person with high self esteem would care a damn of it.
Often Gossip tells all about YOU than OTHERS.
Here’s an old story to recall about values:
Triple Filter Test on Gossip:
In ancient Greece, Socrates was reputed to hold knowledge in high esteem. One day an acquaintance met the great philosopher and said, “Do you know what I just heard about your friend?”
“Hold on a minute”, Socrates replied. “Before telling me anything I’d like you to pass a little test. It’s called the Triple Filter Test.”
“That’s right”, Socrates continued. “Before you talk to me about my friend, it might be a good idea to take a moment and filter what you’re going to say. That’s why I call it the triple filter test. The first filter is Truth. Have you made absolutely sure that what you are about to tell me is true?”
“No,” the man said, “Actually I just heard about it and …”
“All right”, said Socrates. “So you don’t really know if it’s true or not. Now let’s try the second filter, the filter of Goodness. Is what you are about to tell me about my friend something good?”
“No, on the contrary.”
“So”, Socrates continued, “you want to tell me something bad about him, but you’re not certain it’s true. You may still pass the test though, because there’s one filter left: The filter of Usefulness. Is what you want to tell me about my friend going to be useful to me?”
“No, not really.”
“Well”, concluded Socrates, “if what you want to tell me is neither true nor good nor even useful, why tell it to me at all?”
And that’s a great attitude!! Isn’t it? 😉
Kill EGO! Kill Gossip! Wake Joy!! 😉